COVID-19's Impact on Public Education
Copy and paste this message into an email or printed message you can customize and send to your legislators:
Late last year, Congress approved COVID relief legislation that included $5 billion for public education in Texas. As you work to balance the state budget, please do not just take these federal dollars and use them to replace state appropriations.
Instead, please use those dollars on top of what it takes to fully fund House Bill 3 and help students and schools struggling with learning loss.
The pandemic has had a severe impact on learning: Students had to make a quick transition from in-person to remote instruction last spring; some areas and households lack broadband connectivity for remote learning; teachers often spend the day toggling back and forth between students in their classroom and students on their computer screens; and schools have incurred unexpected expenses to maintain safety.
Please use these federal dollars as intended and help our students recover from all the ways their education has been interrupted.
Or if you prefer to place a phone call, we suggest the following main points with any other message you want to share:
• Hello, my name is ____________, and I am a constituent.
• I appreciate your support for public schools and the students they serve.
• Please ensure the $5 billion the US Congress sent to Texas for use in our schools in used on top of traditional funding formulas to address learning losses for struggling students.
• Our schools are facing many challenges and they need legislators’ support.
• Thank you for your service.
Remember, you can find the contact information (email, mailing address, and phone number) for your legislator at:
Who Represents Me?